Sponsored by: Northwest Wellness Center and Stephen Ammann LMSW, CSAT
The EMDR Therapy Basic Training (5-day intensive) is designed for licensed mental health practitioners and graduate students who treat adults and children in a clinical setting. EMDR is a comprehensive psychotherapy that accelerates the treatment of a wide range of pathologies and self-esteem issues related to disturbing events and present life conditions. This interactional, standardized approach has been empirically tested in over 20 randomized controlled studies with trauma patients, and hundreds of published case reports evaluating a considerable range of presenting complaints, including depression, anxiety, phobias, excessive grief, somatic conditions, and addictions. EMDR therapy is guided by the Adaptive Information Processing model which addresses the unprocessed memories that appear to set the basis for a wide range of dysfunction. A number of neurophysiological studies have documented the rapid post-treatment EMDR effects. Participants will be required to read the textbook by Francine Shapiro, Ph.D., Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures Guilford Press, NY, 2nd Edition, 2001.
Participants learn to use EMDR appropriately and effectively in a variety of applications. Such use is based on understanding the theoretical basis of EMDR, safety issues, integration with a treatment plan, and supervised practice.
- Understand the research and theoretical positions on EMDR.
- Use the basic 8-phase EMDR protocol, effectively and safely, and adapt it to special situations and populations.
- Become familiar with variations on the basic protocol for special populations.
- Understand legal and ethical considerations in the use of EMDR.
- Review of the research on EMDR; discussion of controversy/social psychology of innovation.
- The psychology of trauma and diagnosis of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
- Theoretical explanations for EMDR; accelerated information processing; alternate explanations; brain research; caveats.
- The 8 phases of EMDR treatment.
- EMDR and special populations.
- lecture, discussion, demonstration, video
- supervised practicum
- Snacks will be provided
- Consultation (10 hours)
Marshall Wilensky, Ph.D., is an EMDRIA approved consultant and trainer who facilitates EMDR training in Canada and the US (since 1998). He specializes in the treatment of trauma and has more than 12,000 hours of experience with EMDR (since 1993). He has been endorsed as a board-certified expert in traumatic stress by the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress and was an EMDR Institute Facilitator from 1996-2006.
Marshall also has a Private Practice in Vancouver (since 1980), and has taught Counselling Psychology and Clinical Psychology for Simon Fraser University, the British Columbia School of Professional Psychology, and the University of British Columbia. He is surviving the trauma of marriage and children.
Get in Touch
Northwest Wellness Center Inc.
158 McClure Ave.
Nampa, ID 83651